Every year, World Spine Day (WSD) is held to raise awareness on spinal disorders around the globe. This year’s theme is “Your Back in Action.” Research shows that both poor posture and inactivity are leading contributors to developing back pain and spinal disorders. The World Health Organization’s data demonstrates that one in four adults is not active enough. Because of facts like these, WSD decided this year’s Spine Day should highlight the importance of staying active and improving posture every day.
It’s important to create changes in your health habits. That’s why we’ve gathered five easy tips on how to better your back, through posture suggestions and other healthy adjustments!
- Be sure to warm up! Even a quick five minute stretch will help you loosen up before beginning a workout.
- No stand-up desk at work? Every half hour, take a short walk around your office to help your posture.
- Lift correctly. When you need to lift something heavy, bend your legs and keep your back straight.
- Adjust your monitor height. Most employees have a monitor that sits too low. One recommendation is to place the monitor so the bottom is at the level of your chin.
- Don’t cross your legs. When sitting at your desk, try not to sit cross-legged. This makes it difficult for your spine to keep straight and your shoulders to stay squared.
At NuVasive, we have internal facing programs to encourage our employees’ health. Employees are supported with programs like Working on Wellness (WOW), giving them gym access, fitness classes, and healthier options in onsite cafeterias. Our WOW team hosts quarterly kickoffs, fitness challenges, and giveaways to incentivize employees to remain active in living a healthy lifestyle.